Thursday, August 5, 2010

Waiting for the bus

I absolutely love waiting for the bus with Nellie. It gives us a chance to be alone and just hang out. I am amazed as I sit and just watch her. Everything seems so fresh and new to her, like seeing everything for the first time. We do spend a lot of time outside, yet when the other kids are out there with us Nell's is often on the run with her siblings. Not o in the morning, she is calm, relaxed, and just seems to enjoy our special moments together.
She picks flowers and looks at them so closely as if memorizing every detail before handing them to me. She chases the neighbors cats, asks about the missing tree for the thousandth time, or just stares up at the sky. Rain is often a bonus as we stand on the porch and she watches the puddles form on the ground.
I can see the beauty of everything I tend to overlook when Nellie points it out. A slight color difference in the flowers, The metal banister she traces with her fingers.
She's like a baby that is learning of the world still. Her wonder and excitement fills me with the same emotions. I have been known to get on my hands and knees with her and trail an ant across the sidewalk, to chase a butterfly across the grass, and even to squirt a hose just right to create a rainbow.
I have no desire to see the pyramids, grand canyon, or the deserts of Africa. I have all the wonder I need right here in Nellie's eyes.

1 comment:

  1. this is the sweetest picture and what a beautiful tender story of a mother's unconditional love for her child............May God Bless you all indeed............. He makes no mistakes and His way is perfect............

    ReplyDelete