Friday, July 23, 2010

I know you love me, Nellie

I know you love me, Nellie. Though you may not want to hug and kiss. I see the love in your eyes when you look at me in the morning. When your tired at night and laying beside me the love emanates off of you and flows into me. Yes, I understand when you say love you too it is just an automatic response, but it's not the words that tell me how you feel. It's the way your face brightens when you get off the bus. It's when I am sad and you pat my leg though I know you don't like to touch. It's the way you surprise me some days and climb up in my lap. I know you love me, Nellie. I know this because you will put your arms around me for a few seconds when I say give me a hug, even if you face twists up in a look of disgust. Mommy knows hugs don't feel good for you. You don't have to tell me you love me Nellie. I can see it everyday. I don't care what I've read or what people say I know you and it's because of that I know their wrong. You feel love, and sadness, and anger, and yes even disappointment. Maybe you don't express them the same, but mommy always knows. I know when your sad cause your lips pokes out and you look down at the ground. I know when your angery cause your eyes get all squinty like your fathers. I know when your disappointed because you mope around. Yes, Nellie mommy don't need the words. In the end words are just that...words. They are not the smiles, the moments when you surprise me. They are not the feelings you invoke in others just by being near them. Words can't replace that instinct in you that tells when someone needs to laugh. Oh and how you make me laugh. I know you love me Nellie and I will always love you too, even if you don't understand when I say it you feel it the same way I do!

3 comments:

  1. omg Steph, that was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww this was sweet Steph *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph - It is clear that Nellie has taught you a lot about being a Mom, even though she is number 5 of 6!

    ReplyDelete